Monday, September 22, 2008

San Diego - Day Two

I was up at 5:45 pacific time, 8:45 in the east, to get ready to play Torrey. Breakfast started at 6:30 in the hotel restaurant, so I ate and was gone by 7:15.

I put the top down on the mustang and cruised up the pacific highway to La Jolla (pronounced La Hoya) where Torrey is located. I arrived at the golf course a little before 8:00. I checked in, got my cart, and went to the driving range and putted until I was called to the tee box. I was paired with some great guys, a couple were from Kentucky and one was a local guy.

The course was just absolutely amazing. I would catch myself just standing there looking in awe at just how beautiful it was. I have a feeling that this is like the Grand Canyon, no pictures will ever do it justice or begin to show what I saw in person. The bluffs begin about 50 yards off the coast and are probably about 75 stories high. To give you an idea, it looked like I was looking off Stone Mountain down on the ocean.




I played OK, I gave up a lot of strokes putting. I managed to meet my goal of breaking 90 by shooting an 89. I had to par the last hole to do that. The last hole is a par 5 which I had about 7 feet for birdie, and missed. I could not putt. On the hole Phil shot a 9 in the third round I also made par, which was disappointing because I had about 3 feet for birdie.

It was really cool to walk to places that I saw shoots made from on TV. Like Tiger’s eagle at 18 and the chip in at 15. The greens though were nowhere near the size they looked on TV.
There were a lot of people gliding off the cliffs. The gliders looked more like a parachute and the people sit rather than hung.

After I played, I went back down to La Jolla to grab a bite to eat. I ate at a little wood fired pizza place called Woody’s Pizza. After that, I went to the beach for a little while. I walked around a little and of course got in the Pacific Ocean. It is a little chilly.

I also saw how you could have a great life having nothing and doing nothing. There are 1000’s of Eddie “The Shitters Full” RVs. People just live in these things on the side of the ocean because they are allowed to stay in the many public parks on the coast. Public parks here have dumping stations and fire safe dumps for hot coals and charcoal. It’s nice that the state keeps so much of the ocean frontage for people to have access to.

By this time it was getting into the afternoon and I was pretty tired. I went back on a road that went along the bluffs and over what looked like 700 foot sand dunes. You could see forever.

I got back to the hotel, showered and shortly went to bed.

No comments: